HomeSite MapContact Us
About UsPublicationsProjectsArchived NewsCAPS EventsWork with us
About CAPS
Located in Kabul, Afghanistan, CAPS is an independent, research centre that strives to conduct action-oriented research which will influence policy-makers. It works diligently towards building local capacity to produce conflict and threat assessments that will influence the safety and security of the people serving the governments, and international aid organizations.
CAPS Research & Publications
Latest Development
Jun 28, 2011
Al Jazeera Inside Story interviews Director of CAPS

9th June, 2011
Mr. Hekmat Karzai, the Director at Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies, in Kabul, Afghanistan was part of a panel of 3 interviewees on Al Jazeera’s program, Inside Story, covering the recent US Senate Committee report on nation-building in Afghanistan. Inside Story revealed that the Senate report which took two years to compile, shows that the US role in nation-building in Afghanistan has been both costly and has had limited success. Furthermore, the report stresses that if the US nation-building program is not overhauled it will not be sustainable after the US begins to withdraw its troops. 
Al Jazeera’s Inside Story addresses some of the questions surrounding this report while examining some of the key points of the Senate report which showed that 80 percent of US aid has focused on South and Eastern regions leaving only 20 percent for the remaining regions, how misspending of foreign aid has resulted in corruption, and how foreign aid makes 97 percent of the country’s GDP and which has resulted in aid dependency.
Mr. Hekmat Karzai was posed with questions concerning the transition, corruption and issues of nation building in Afghanistan. Mr. Karzai began by stressing that state-building rather then nation-building was the correct word to use when discussing situation in Afghanistan. He explained that there has been mixed results in state-building efforts in Afghanistan. 
Furthermore, Mr Karzai also addressed issues of corruption in the Afghan Government stating that the Afghan Government should not be used as escape goat for every time the international community fails to achieve an indicator. He argues that the politics of development were never clearly defined in the Afghan context to begin with, explaining that the international community has worked to serve its own constituencies and how international agencies operating in Afghanistan have created parallel structures that would evidently sustain aid dependency. Thus, though some blame can be placed on the Afghan government, not all the blame should be put on Afghans, exclaimed Mr. Hekmat Karzai. 
To watch the complete interview please click on the link below to watch the video broadcasting of “Leaving Afghanistan,” on Al Jazeera.
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/insidestory/2011/06/20116911154702397.html
 



Design by SepiaSolutionsCopyright © 2006 Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies.
Kabul, Afghanistan.
Tel: +93 (786) 200 000, +93 (799) 750 530
Email: contact#caps.af (replace '#' with '@' before sending email)